HOW TO NOT LOOK AWKWARD IN YOUR WEDDING PHOTOS
‘I hate having my photo taken!! I don’t know how to pose, I’m going to end up looking like a dribbling fish’
- You’re (probably) not a model, so don’t try and be one. Trying too hard is obvious, your photos won’t look natural. Relax, it’s all good
- Stand with your weight on one leg, never stand flat footed with your weight on both legs. Crossing your legs standing up really helps with this.
- Do something with your hands, don’t let them just hang there. slightly hide them behind your back, hold hands, put your hand on your hip or hold your flowers. No matter how happy and natural you look and feel, if your hands are awkward the photo will be too
- Your eyes are just as important as your smile. Wide open is rarely a good look, practice in front of the mirror.
- Whilst having your ‘Couple Shots’ don’t stop talking to your new husband or wife. Unless specifically asked, keep on chatting, you’ve got so many happy things to chat about and that will equate to happy natural photos
- Be in the moment. It sounds daft but I see it plenty of times… don’t play ‘spot the photographer’. Simply by being conscious that the photographer is lurking will make for super awkward photos. Yes it’s the photographers job to make you feel at ease but each time you think ‘Is the photographer taking my photo?’ answer yourself with ‘so?’ and join back in with the fun of your wedding day
- Book a photographer you trust, if the shots of just you and your husband or wife are super important to you then look through theirs, it’s quite easy to forget that the people in their photos are just normal people like you and I.
- Sometimes right now isn’t the right time. Ask your photographer if they can adjust the times of certain photos. They are after all there to get the photos you want, they might say that there is no other time available, in that case just take your time with it.
If you’re an aspiring photographer reading this guide then check out an article I wrote on ShootDotEdit about how I treat my clients, it’s pretty extensive and you’ll get tonnes of great info